Monday, December 17, 2012

The wonders of rail travel

A couple of recent train trips have alerted me to some unusual, and at times gross,  behaviour that occurs among passengers.


On one trip I left my seat for a more spacious compartment that housed only one other passenger -- a man of some years who seemed inoffensive enough at first glance. The wisdom of my decision was quickly thrown into question when he embarked on a program that involved picking his ears and flicking the harvest onto the carriage floor. Attempts to re-engineer the activity as an hallucinatory nightmare failed and I eventually fled to safety of another compartment.

The young girl who sat oppposite me seemed attractive enough on a quirky level but displayed an exaggerated pre-occupation with her teeth. Several furtive glances allowed me to identify the reason for  her fascination with her dental attributes,  and I came to appreciate the  difficulties associated with attaching false vampire fangs to one's native incisers.  A glance at her accompanying fashion accessory - a music player labelled "Vampire sounds" - resurrected memories of "From Dusk Till Dawn" (a 1996 horror crime action thriller film written by Quentin Tarantino), and her decision to leave the train a stop before mine acted as a successful anxiety reduction agent.

No comments:

Post a Comment